Monday, November 28, 2011

45 n' J.C.

November 21-25th, 2011

Mud. Mud. Mud. We've come to affectionately call it (thanks to the Queens University ladies) - the 45, and the J.C. (joint compound).

A fantastic, warmer than normal week!

These peeps not only decided to volunteer for the week - BUT they even chose to do so despite it being Thanksgiving. No gathering around the dinner table with friends and family - instead, the ladies from Queens University in NC served Thanksgiving dinner at the Convention Center downtown, and then went to their volunteer housing and made their OWN Thanksgiving dinner Annnnnnd they gave me 2nds on Friday... awesome, awesome, people. Thanks ladies for all your service this week throughout the city!


Queens University of NC were with me all week!


Kait, Kariel, Alecia, and Chelsea

I met Tom back in September(ish). He's the roommate of my SBP friend & coworker, Josh. Ironically, Tom and I got to know each other much better the weekend before he volunteered - and soon came to find out he'd be helping with Miss Yolanda's house for 3 days with me! It was a blessing, as he and his friend Kaycee helped get my bathrooms underway. Both Tom and Kaycee are fellow AmeriCorps members, and work at Langston Hughes and Bard College.


Tom n' Kaycee in their 'mudders' gear... with us M-W

I've had couples volunteer with me. I've had mother-daughter pairs help me. I've never had an entire family volunteer with me, and OH MY GOSH was it crazy, and a blast! The crew of Annie & Andy, with Liz, Emily, Mark, and Tiffany were all family/friend & bf... Some moments I felt like I was hanging out with the Brady Bunch, and then i'd turn the corner, and hear things like "you're not good at that. Eew oooo gosh. Maybe you should find something else to do.." then a ''shut up'' ... so i'd come intervene, and they would be laughing or actually switching jobs. Hahaaha it was all in good fun and made me miss the 'family dynamic' that comes with the territory of being siblings and working with your parents... huh, don't sound like a foreign tale to me!


Mark & Annie (F)


Liz and Tiffany (F)


Andy & Emily (F)

Friday I also had a couple join who had volunteered with the project all week, but were sent to my site on the last day due to some equipment breaking at another house. Rick & Becky (perhaps the only Wyoming'ins that I know) RV-trip the United States every winter to escape the cold. They have no plans, but to be in Florida on the 18th of December. The two of them floated a lot of Miss Yolanda's bedroom, and would return the following week as well (so, more on them later!)


Rick & Becky from Wyoming! (F)

Miss Yolanda's house is coming along.... trying, trying, trying to get her home by Christmas. We're all working hard for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment