Thursday, November 17, 2011

Git down the fiddle



There are few moments in one’s life where you could appropriately drag along your violin to a construction worksite. So when the opportunity arose, you betcha I took it.

Three crazy high school girls joined up with Marissa, my roommate, to work on the house that she has been leading. We didn’t have enough volunteers to continue building at Miss Yolanda’s, so I was pulled over to Marissa’s site to help mud on Monday & Tuesday.



The brigade was Emma, Katherine, Danielle & their English teacher, Kathy – all 4 of them spent those two days learning all the tricks of sanding and mudding a bedroom to get the rooms ready for primer and paint.



You go a little crazy when you mud, sand, mud, sand, etc. Plus, these girls were high schoolers on an adventure in New Orleans – they were a little crazy too (just kidding girls, just kidding!) In two days we had a couple miniature dance parties, and on Tuesday afternoon I brought my violin because Emma & Danielle play! We really broke it down – not literally, but it was awesome.



I didn’t find out til Tuesday evening that I wouldn’t be joining them for the remainder of the week. I was ecstatic to begin working on Miss Yolanda’s home again, though it stunk to leave the girls without a proper goodbye.

So, instead, we all met up for Chinese food later in the week, and went out to ‘Rock n’ Bowl’ for bowling and a concert by Kermit Ruffins on Friday. Don't know the last time I ran up on stage like that... haha even if I am 10 yrs older than all the girls! Good times had by all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment