Friday, November 4, 2011

Whirlwind

I set off the security alarm at Mary’s church on the corner.

Then I sent my roommate, 911-call-ready, to follow a woman in her car who thought she was about to get hijacked or robbed.

Then Miss Mary came by, 3 weeks after our last visit, asking me where the heck her tub was.

That was all in one day.

Then we spent 3 hours drilling 12 holes into the ceramic tiles in the shower, only to have the bit break, at 6:00pm, at mid-12th-hole.

I had my last ice cream cone from the Ice Cream man that comes by everyday at 3:30.

Then I locked the front door to Mary’s house, the house that myself and so many others helped build, for the very last time.
That was all by Wednesday night.


Marissa takes a shot of me locking the door for the last time

Thursday, I joined 13 other volunteers to begin the rebuilding process of the new house that I’ll be working on through completion. I’d not gotten the chance to even step in the front door ‘til about an hour before my 13 volunteers came to conquer the tasks ahead.

By Friday afternoon, we’d hung all the insulation, and begun installing sheetrock on the ceilings, and somehow I’d somewhat, sort of, organized what’s to happen in the house.

God, my life is crazy, I’m totally beat. I drove to work this morning, ready to cry from the intensity of such a week, and I left work today, high as the sky. Thank goodness for volunteers who are so passionate about what they do, and help remind me why we are really here. Thank you, KPMG. You guys are awesome.

Tomorrow I hope to meet my homeowner. I really, really, can’t wait.

1 comment:

  1. Glad we could help make your transition a little easier. Thank you for your guidance and all around awesomeness.
    Tym

    ReplyDelete