Sunday, November 27, 2011

Miss Mary cuts the ribbon to her new home :)



See the news story for Miss Mary’s home here:
www.abc26.com/news/local/wgno-elderly-woman-no-longer-lives-in-ratinfested-home-20111121,0,3192550.story?track=rss

Miss Mary was always on my butt about things. “Where’s my tub? What about my stove, where’s it gonna go? What’s this thing doing here? When ya goin’ to be done? I’m movin’ in on the 15th!”

Apparently she was just the same to the Jefferson Parish President, who had originally been informed about Miss Mary’s former living conditions. “When ya gonna do something bout my house? I ain’t still moved in, ya know! I’ll keep lookin for you til my house is finished.”



I'm soOooo thankful to have been placed with Miss Mary at her home in Marrero. The stories are endless, and I couldn't have asked for a better home, a better list of volunteers, or a better homeowner to begin with.

We had Miss Mary’s Welcome Home Party on Monday, November 21st.

The Parish President was there, Zack (SBP cofounder), United Way representatives, and friends of Mary and volunteers with SBP. Mary repeatedly said “I love everybody.” “I love you all.” It’s a great thing to see and hear the appreciation for the work that you’ve helped accomplish. I wish all the past volunteers could have been there with us.

Story of the day: Mary stood on the steps of her home, and was presented with a red-ribbon bow attached to a key, to represent her returning home. Mary smiled, took the key, looked at it a minute, and replied – “well, I already got three of these keys in my purse!”



Yes, Mary, yes you do. Haha she is something else, and I’m having a little bit of mixed feelings about no longer getting to visit with Mary and hear her funny stories.



If any of you wish to send Mary any welcome home cards or the like, send them to 661 Francis St. Marrero, LA

No comments:

Post a Comment