Thursday, November 17, 2011

They. Need. YOU.

I’ve begun to forget what it means to volunteer. I’ve caught myself sometimes forgetting the amount of time that people are taking out of their ‘real’ lives, as well as the amount of money they spend to come down and help someone in need. I’ve come to simply EXPECT these huge-hearted people to fall into my lap, ready to accomplish what’s next, and continue on with the progress of the house.

I’ve started to get comfortable with my role as a site supervisor. Though, I’m not entirely sure that it’s the best thing for what I’m down here to accomplish. They say that nurses get hardened to the sight of blood… am I beginning to harden to just how special these 'volunteers' are?

Every day is the same. I wake up at 6:30am, make my lunch, eat breakfast, and leave my house at 7:20. I arrive on site, clean up a bit, get prepared for the day, and then the volunteers arrive to GET THINGS DONE (AmeriCorps terms, for ya)

Monday, it didn’t happen like that. Volunteers never arrived at Miss Yolanda’s house. In fact, volunteers didn’t arrive at several of the 20 homes that SBP is working on. All the work that KPMG accomplished, just hung on the walls and the ceilings. Somebody was supposed to start where they finished, but nobody was there to do the job. SBP only had 30 people signed up to volunteer for the week, and unfortunately (for Miss Yolanda and me), they weren’t placed at my site.

The house is supposed to be finished by Christmas. But, there's still a TON to do before then. As a matter of fact, on Monday, I counted the days – 45 days til the 22nd, the day I leave to return to my own home, for Christmas. 45 days, but only 34-40 work days…

On Monday, I really had a gut check. That’s 34-40 days IF …IF, I have volunteers to help me. Monday, I had no volunteers. Tuesday, no volunteers.

BUT- I found out Tuesday night that I would be having 8 volunteers from NJ and NY Wednesday through Friday. I was ecstatic to get some progress going on the house – though I had this unrealistic fear that there would be cobwebs and dust when I reentered Miss Yolanda’s home on Wednesday morning.





We were blessed with such a great group - they flew down for only four nights in new orleans, and spent every day elbow-deep in work.

Audrey & Maggie are multiple year returnees who have served with SBP and other non-profits since Katrina. They are very inspirational women, and have organized several furniture drives in the past, as well as being huge advocates for getting young people involved in service.



Lori & Lorig (totally didn’t realize on the first day that they nearly had the same name so I kept thinking I had forgotten Lori’s name haha ooops sorry Lori!) were workhorses and were able to finish drywalling the smaller of the two bathrooms – which is awesome, because (fingers crossed!) maybe we’ll get a toilet in there in the next couple weeks!



Wendy & Dyane brought their 12-year-old daughters, Blair & Gabby, to get their hands dirty and better understand what it means to give back. The girls documented their work (oh yes, I’m a movie star now!) and are hoping to inspire others to become involved in helping New Orleanians return home – so so cool!

We nearly finished all the drywall in the kitchen, and had I ordered more purple board in time, we would have both bathrooms finished. Just a little more work in the bigger bathroom, and those three rooms will be ready to begin mudding!



I’ve spent the past couple days reflecting. Why I’m here, and why other people come here to help. Without the group from NJ & NY, Miss Yolanda’s home would STILL be just as KPMG left it. But now, the house continues to progress, and I sure hope that other people out there are just as inspired and just as giving as the volunteers I’ve had over the past 6-8 weeks. Because, on Wednesday, I was finally able to TRULY understand just how much of a difference each one of them makes. Without you guys, nothing would get done.

Thanks again, y’all are great.

Lookeeee what they did!

Bathroom #1 is done, and #2 is sooooo close


Kitchen is nearly complete!


From the front door


Hallway in front of the right bathroom

No comments:

Post a Comment